What is the message of OST?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 22 07:51:06 PDT 2002

At 09:22 AM 7/22/2002 +0100, Martin Leith wrote:
>Douglas,
>
>Thank you for daring to challenge one of the orthodoxies of Open Space
>facilitation.

I guess if we ever get to the point that we have orthodox dogma that takes
courage to challenge, we are truly in deep doodoo. For something that began
life inspired by two martinis, this would be a sad fate indeed. As near as
I can figure out, the 18 year experience with Open Space has been one of
constant sharing and challenge out of which has emerged a practice/approach
which works. And if it doesn't we change it. All of the things Martin and
Douglas mentioned just showed up over the years, seeming to be good ideas
at the time -- and over the years what worked stuck, and what didn't
didn't. So welcome to the continuing challenge and sharing.

>Maybe the facilitator stays out of the way unless feeling *deeply moved* to
>participate - unless her or his non-participation does a disservice to the
>group (for example, by witholding vital information or insights).

This is pretty close to what I think most of us do. There are certainly
times when I not only participate in discussions, but will initiate them.
For example in our annual OSONOS. At the beginning when I was the host -- I
suppose I was as actively involved as anybody. I felt free to do that if
only because the group itself seemed perfectly competent to hold the space
for itself. Marvelous. But even in those situations where I was
participating in / convening a session, I had to keep clear in my head what
my primary responsibility was -- holding the space for others. The problem,
I found, with  my active participation when I was also the facilitator is
that I tended to get confused, or more exactly get sucked into the
discussion. Then there are other times -- my recent experience in Rome, for
example with the Israelis and the Palestinians. Holding space in that
situation was definitely a full time job. So for me, there is a choice, and
I do make it -- but I make based upon a prior understanding of what my
primary function is. When that function is ably fulfilled by the group or
some other person, I feel free to fully participate. When I don't, I don't.
I guess there is also another important aspect to the facilitator's role as
being separate from that of the group. It comes as a powerful challenge to
what I call the expert syndrome -- the notion that seems to afflict many
people that they have no power, authority or knowledge of their own -- they
have to have the expert. The net effect is a learned helplessness and
passivity which is the end as far as I am concerned. I want to say to
folks, and back it up with my walk, talk, and mode of being -- look to
yourself. And the experience is that they do -- and most usually are
pleasantly surprised to find that they are not dunces.

>How about some more orthodoxy challenges? Here are a few for starters:
>
>* Participation must be voluntary

This one comes pretty close to a "rule" for me. And the reason is all about
choice and responsibility.  When people are forced into any situation both
choice and responsibility go out the window, and with their absence
personal and group performance is pretty abysmal.

>* People start off sitting in a circle

It seems to work. Would something else work? Well we have certainly tried
all sorts of configurations over the years, and when it comes to intense,
engaged discussion, the circle seems to win hands down. The geometry of the
circle makes sure that everybody is eyeball to eyeball and on an equal
footing (sitting) Seems to me to be a good starting point.

>* The facilitator must walk the circle, and in a solemn manner

Again -- it seems to work. I don't know about the "solemn" part -- I guess
it depends on the situation, but I can't imagine a "fun and
games"  approach with my Israeli and Palestinian friends.

>* Always display the four principles and one law on the walls - oh, and be
>sure to include a few pictures of butterflies and bees, or the magic won't
>work

I just find it a nice touch -- and usually improves drab hotel walls and
makes it "our space" -- Don't like it? Don't do it. No magic involved.

>* Post the session reports on the wall

Again -- this is just a matter of experience. Folks seem to like to see and
touch what is happening around them. I have tried just keeping it all
online, but that seems to loose something. No hot bodies crowding around
the latest news. Not essential -- but nice.

>Thanks again Douglas. It's high time we challenged these basic assumptions.

And thank you Martin for continuing to do what I think we have been doing
all along -- share and challenge. And if that is not the case, now would be
a very good time to get started. Space is definitely open for all of the above.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA