using OS for organizational designing and structuring

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Mon Jul 15 14:15:37 PDT 2002

Tova,

I remember a story from Harrison's collection, Tales from Open Space about a "large avionics company" using Open Space to downsize.  The book is online at http://www.openspaceworld.com/tales.htm.

The story I'm thinking of is Open Space: An Organization Transition Methodology by Hugh Huntington.  Here's the opening paragraph:

A large avionics defense plant was in two major transitions. The first was a down-sizing from 2400 to 1600 people, reflecting the cutback in Department of Defense (DOD) expenditures. The second was a total reorganization from a traditional, autocratic management system that reflected both internal corporate philosophy and DOD expectations to a team-based structure. This meant the removal of four of the seven levels of management and supervision within the plant. The switch to the new organizational structure was to begin in 3 weeks, to be completed within 8 weeks. Management had made a commitment to their corporate office to move ahead.

Peggy