using OS for organizational designing and structuring

Ralph Copleman ralph at earthdreams.net
Mon Jul 15 08:11:14 PDT 2002

On 7/15/02 12:12 AM, "Averbuch" <averbuch at post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> One question: HOW OPEN WAS THE SPACE? WHAT SCOPE OF decisions WAS KEPT TO
> THE os PEOPLE AND WHAT WAS DECIDED BY MANAGEMENT/CEO/GIVENS (before or
> after)?

Good question.

As I remember, the space was "open" only for input and creative ideas.
Decision-making authority was still in the hands of ownership.

The day after that one-day event, Barbara and I had a day-long meeting with
the management team, about 20 people I think, representing both locations.
They chewed over all the data and ideas from the day before and attempted to
sort out the best ideas.   I recall the CEO becoming fairly frustrated by
mid-afternoon because things weren't going the way he thought they should in
terms of the choice of strategy.  He was a good manager in terms of being
very open to explaining anything and everything to anyone in the company.
He believed in transparency.  But the big decisions he kept for himself.

Ralph