using OS for organizational designing and structuring

Chris Kloth kloth at got2change.com
Sun Jul 14 17:10:44 PDT 2002

Tova,

Barbara Bunker, Ralph Copelman and I did a very interesting Open Space a
week or two after the S.E.C. approved the sale of an industrial abrasives
business to some of its management team.  The purpose was to reorganize the
business very quickly so that they could begin moving on.  We did two
simultaneous events in their two location locations so that virtually 100%
of the employees were involved.  We  joined them online so  the news from
each session was immediately posted to the other site.  I was in one
location in the Midwest, while Barbara and Ralph were in the east at
headquarters.

Ralph, have you (we) already posted something on this in the past?  If so,
maybe we could find the original, fresh version before I go on with
reconstructionist (faulty memory) history.

One of my most memorable Open Space moments occurred at this event, and I
will share it again if someone can't find the original.

Because of S.E.C. requirements we had to keep the name of the business
secret at the time.  I don't know if we ever got released from that...

But the dates were in early March 1996, so any postings by either Ralph or
me at about that time might provide clues.

Sorry to be a little vague just now, but let's see if we can revive this bit
of history.

If not, maybe Ralph would join me in sharing the story?

Chris Kloth
Senior Partner
ChangeWorks of the Heartland
250 South Virginialee Road