high school OST

Alan Klein alan at klein.net
Wed Jul 10 16:26:25 PDT 2002

Julie,

I, too, am concerned about grading high school students on their presumed
ability to mediate, especially according to some externally imposed model.

Your question reminds me of when I was I student teaching in a Psychology
class in a public alternative high school in Ann Arbor, Michigan in 1974. We
began the class by going over the principles of Group Dynamics, using the
model of Task Oriented Behaviors, Relationship Maintenance Behaviors, and
Self-Oriented Behaviors. Then we posed the following dilemma to the class:
"We have to give you grades (We checked and we do.) We can't give you all
A's. We can't let you simply pick the grade you want. (Again, we checked and
we can't.) Also, we won't play God and assign you grades. So, our challenge
is to come up with a grading system together."

The end result was a beautifully simple, effective procedure. We created a
one page "Likert Scale" sheet. It included such questions as "Did the person
ask questions when they needed to?" (Task Behavior), "Did the person help
others enter the conversation?" (Relationship Behavior), and "Did the person
seem to get their own needs met without detracting from the group's
learning?" (Self-Oriented Behavior) Each had a 10 point scale attached to
it. No points were given if one was absent and points were deducted for
being tardy. At the beginning of each class period EVERYONE (students,
teachers, visitors) partnered up and took two sheets. At the end of the
period they rated themselves and their partner.

At the end of the grading period, we tallied up the scores and posted them
on the board. It was always a beautiful experience. There were always
obvious groupings of A, B, and C students and, occasionally, one or two who
were equally obviously not invested in the class and were either being
disruptive or, more usually, often skipped the class. Notice that there were
NO content  questions, just process ones. We assumed, as you did, that if
they did the work they would learn. And they did!

I suggest you "trust the process" as you work with them and don't get so
hung up on grades.

~Alan Klein