high school OST

J. Richardson judir at accesswave.ca
Wed Jul 10 16:11:22 PDT 2002

Hi Julie -- I guess the grading will be compulsory -- not only for our
education system, parents expect them, employers expect them, and kids
expect them!  My first question is as to your listed evaluation -- to
satisfy your supervisor, will you use something like a checklist for the
demonstrated skill -- I've used video -- and video taped kids from grade 4
to 12 roleplaying peer mediation -- they love being moviestars.  As to your
grade assignments, do they have to match curriculum outcomes or something
like that?

Before we use OST, we role-play a mediation and show a few videos, and
provide some reading.  This assists the participants in getting into the
issues -- not just the actual mediation.  Kids love OST and they get into
great issues around the school culture, how they are supported in peer
mediation, where confidential files are kept, how often the "get out of
class" <grin>.

Hope those little items help a bit.  Sounds like great fun!