Opening space, transfer-in, small spaces

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Tue Jul 9 11:05:39 PDT 2002

Hi Michael,

I might have an opportunity to test your thinking in a high school
setting this year.  I'll be spending 4 - 5 weeks in a number of high
schools teaching peer mediation this fall.  This will be a regular
classroom setting.  The class is Health Leadership Skills.  Peer
Mediation is one component of the course curriculum.  The primary given
for this portion of the curriculum is that students learn how to
mediate.  If I could figure out how to achieve the course objectives
using OST, I would happily do so.

Whenever I start thinking this way, I wonder if the problem is the wrong
starting point.  Instead of asking "How can we teach students to be
mediators?" I find myself wanting to ask students "What needs to happen
for us to have a peaceable school?" or "What are the core elements of a
peaceable school?  What must be in place in order for us to treat each
other peaceably?"

Maybe it's hard to think about OST in the classroom because we have so
many preconceived ideas about what our children need to learn.  It seems
like our educational system defines the questions AND the answers.  Not
much room for open space when the space is closed.

I'm still curious about ideas for teaching mediation using OST.  I'm
also thinking that perhaps an initial OST around the broader questions
might be helpful, if only to reveal more clearly to all of us that
mediation is simply one way among many.

Julie

Michael