Opening space, transfer-in, small spaces

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 9 08:53:19 PDT 2002

Dear Glory,
how about a perspective that there is already open space in the classroom
and the job is to bring in methods to assist the students recognize the open
space and to work with it. Open Space Technology is one means to do this and
I know there are people who have created one Open Space Technology meeting
that is to last over say 10 sessions, with each session being a separate
day. Michelle Cooper and Judi Richardson have such rich stories of using
Open Space Technology in the classroom as one means to work with the large
Open Space of the universe of potential. And of course, Chris Weaver is
using the same in his camp for the sessions with the young people. There are
also rich examples of using Whole Person Process Facilitation to do the
same. And there are rich examples, including your own passion for working
with story, to teach and use story as a method for working with the large
Open Space of the universe of potential.

I encourage emphasizing it in a way of working with the great Open Space of
potential and possibilities and that you are introducing them to means to
assist them to do this for their highest learning. And of course, the
expected curriculum content and other items such as this will be some of the
"givens" that frame the amount of space that the method you are working with
is meant to address.  In Harrison's video Learning in Open Space (1990) he
says that all is one big Open Space or marketplace and that Open Space
Technology allows the group to be able to work with part of it (working with
all of it is just too much).

Blessings to you and to all with whom you make Genuine Contact,
Birgitt
Birgitt  Williams of Dalar International Consultancy
http://www.dalarinternational.com
Mentoring for Organizational Effectiveness
view the calendar for upcoming training at
http://www.openspacetechnology.com/training.html

We invite you to join the list serve at
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/genuinecontact

Contact information for Dalar International Consultancy
Mailing address: Po Box 19373, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA 27619 or for
courier 12136 Shooting Club Rd., Raleigh, North Carolina USA 27613
Phone: 919-522-7750     Fax: 919-870-6599

"I believe that Spirit matters and people are precious. I know that
organizations incorporating these values have exciting, tangible results
including wealth, prosperity, and abundance. Daily, these organizations
attend to their health and balance. Participating in the Genuine Contact
program takes you on a learning journey of HOW to achieve the healthy and
balanced organization (the conscious Open Space Organization).”  Birgitt
Williams, Dalar International Consultancy