Opening space, transfer-in, small spaces

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Mon Jul 8 15:16:13 PDT 2002

Dear Judi,
thanks for sticking with me so patiently!
This is what I really cherish about the listserve!
So "transfer-in" has little to do with open space but is meant for
other processes, ok.
Here I have a whole bunch of questions around the role of the open
space-facilitator generated by your remarks on your work with
sponsoring groups:
What is the effect of the intention on the part of the facilitator,
as you put it, "support the organization or community that I am
working with"?
Is my role just to hold time and space (that intangable activity) for
the participants of an open space-event without a worry about the
organisation or the community?
In which way are the participants responsible to support the
organisation or community they are part of?
Should it be my intent to support the organisation or community that
they are part of and responsible for?
In which way is holding time and space for the group into open space
a contribution to their ability to support their organisation or
community?
What happens to me as facilitator being worried or getting attached
to "supporting the organization or community that I am working with"?

Yes, working in schools is a real  delight.
At our regular boscop (berlin open space cooperative) meeting today
we discussed our various involvements in schools in Berlin (day care
centers-they are part of the school system here-, elementary schools,
middle schools, special schools, highschools-there are different
types, differentiated by achievement-,schools for apprentices) and in
school related activities (schools without racism, a big project that
came to Germany from Belgium/training of student
mediators/federal-state projects to further democracy in schools) and
in model projects in teacher colleges (part of the universities) and
the development of quality management systems in schools......quite a
broad spectrum which has moved center in the political discussion
since the results of international student testing (pisa) has
disclosed that Germany has just about the worst system compared to
other industrial nations in the northern hemisphere....and decided
that we will produce a special manual on open space-technology in
schools.
In this vain, I am very interested in ost in the classroom. That
would appear to me to be a natural extension of the work we do in
schools.
I always ask, when working in schools, what would happen if you
applied the Law of Two Feet to a classroom situation....if you
neither learn nor contribute you honor the class by going to a place
more productive for you. Usually I get a bunch of smiles.
Greetings from Berlin
michael

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 22:35:29 -0300, J. Richardson wrote:

>Hi Michael -- I'll answer following your points...
>

>> If it is agreed that the role of the sponsor is that of opening the
>> space the briefing of the sponsor through the open space- facilitator
>> on this role is part of my work. From what I understand you see this
>> as part of the "transfer-in process".
>
>Michael -- I see working with the sponsoring group pre and post the OST
>event as part of how I support the organization or community that I'm
>working with.  The "transfer-in process" that others have mentioned in
>postings is done at the beginning of facilitations other than OST.
>Referring to something as a technique can artificially separate it.  As I
>mentioned in my last posting, many processes that bring the participants
>into the room consciously are done quite naturally or are internalized
>(thanks John E.).  Even in the classroom, I would joke around, talk about a
>current event or something happening on Campus to give everyone a chance to
>relax into the space.
>
>As to the OST event, I see a natural transfer-in process when the OST
>facilitator walks the circle setting the stage for the OST event.
>
>> Am very much looking forward to the issues generated in your
>> three-people open space on exploring using open space in the
>> workplace.
>
>Michael -- I'll have those notes reviewed and done this upcoming week, for
>sure.
>
>And well done working with the high school student organization.  I love the
>work I've done in schools with OST.  And using OST in the classroom has
>spilled over to student associations!  I look forward to hearing more about
>your adventures.
>
>with kindest regards,
>Judi

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.