Holding Space

Toni Petrinovich sacred at anacortes.net
Mon Jul 22 09:40:53 PDT 2002

My two (or twenty) cents worth:  The debate over holding space is an interesting one to me because in my experience it comes so naturally.  It is "paying attention to, being aware of, staying in the energetic field of, being with".  It is all of those things and so much more - yet I believe you get the drift.

Perhaps the "difficulty" arises out of people wanting to "do" something to hold the space.  I host a Reiki Circle every other Monday night.  We work (practitioners doing energy work with each other) in two rooms.  If one room finishes before the other room is finished, those who finished first go to the other room and "hold space".  There is never a question about how or what - it is simply "let's go hold space with the others".  It is one of the most natural beings/doings that mankind is heir to - think of watching the savanna for the wildebeest to appear so you can take him home for dinner - you are with three other hunters crouching in the underbrush with your spears.  You are "holding space" together.  Well, you might say that is only "waiting" and that is also true.  Yet if you are not "holding space" for the appearance of the wildebeest, you are going to miss him when he arrives.  You will drift off in your waiting and begin paying attention to something else.

Holding space - doing it constantly - doing it while I AM writing this message - BEING it.

Love you all much,
Toni Sar'h