open space-food

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Fri Jul 5 23:59:33 PDT 2002

Hi Laurel, Rick, Dave, Ted and the other 344 on the list,
I am surprised about this discussion on food.
Never ever have I been to an open space-event that was without food
and drink. In fact, I would not facilitate an open space without food
and drink.
Clearly, it is essential! As are daylight (I have been in
artificially lit rooms with no windows, awful!), fresh air, enough
space....
Whenever food/drink ran out or came late (which has happened a rare
few times) not only my but apparently everybody elses spirits sagged.
And the caterer is put on my dreaded "black list" !!
Standard part of my "List of materials" that I give to the sponsor is
a section on "Catering" which spells out in some detail what has to
be available at what times. I insist that there is a time slot in the
planning meeting reserved especially to this aspect and that the
kitchen staff or the caterer is invited to this part of the planning.
Often, the kitchen/caterer have never done an "open space-buffet" and
are intrigued by it and come up with marvellous ideas. One
organisation I work with regularly has documented "open space-buffet"
for their staff so that when an open space is done there they know
exactly what is expected. They now offer this way of catering at
other events so a little bit of open spaces invades.
I always ask the catering and kitchen staff to come to "evening news"
and/or to the closing ceremony so that the crowd can express its
appreciation to them and their work.
Somebody has suggested to put together an open space-cookbook.
Well, you might imagine what my response was to that idea.
Greetings from Berlin where summer is reigning...time for some
barbecueing in the open .......
michael

From: Laurel and Rick
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:05:55 -0700

Hi Dave and Ted,

I've been following your discussion and just want to put in a little
word in support of food.

I've been to events with food and a very few without food.  I find
food changes the atmosphere.  Part of it is our social conditioning,
I guess, and part of it is simply that when you are as engaged with
deep conversation as you are in Open Space, it's very hungry work.
(One of the things that bugged me about our OSonOS in Vancouver was
that there wasn't food available at all times - I think we should
have made it clearer to the caterers that the food table needed
constant replenishment throughout the day - there's some learning I
need to pass along to Viv and Brian!)

At any rate, maybe it's only me, but I'm interested in hearing if
others think food is an essential element of an Open Space event.

Best,

Laurel.

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.