dancing like the eagles

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Mon Jul 1 16:48:45 PDT 2002

Greetings, friends ~

I was privileged to spend the last four days rafting on the Gulkana
River, one of Alaska's most beautiful rivers.  As we were nearing the
completion of our journey yesterday I looked into the sky and found two
eagles soaring in a gigantic circle of flight, each always opposite the
other, dancing around and around and around, each mastering with the
other the art of both moving and staying in the same position (exactly
opposite the other).....

Imagine that...... the paradox of movement and stillness solved by two
soaring eagles....  and more beautiful (dynamic, flowing, creative,
peaceful), than words can tell.....

I wonder how much we are like the eagles, soaring along, searching for
that mystical flowing dance of movement and stillness, testing our wings
through the flow of our conversation, our work, our contemplations and
our compassion. Our dance is more complicated and is taking a bit longer
to work out, perhaps, but what a beautiful creative loving flowing dance
it is becoming....

When I think about what I need to do in the world, I tend to look
inward.  I don't tend to think as much about what I can do to help
others/organizations change, but rather what I can do in each moment to
express good in the world.  When I can do that unconditionally (without
regard to what comes back to me), the goodness seems to grow of its own
accord..... and that is where I find myself feeling the surge of energy,
power, joy, and flow.... dancing like the eagles..... movement and
stillness.... in letting go I arrive....

Julie