self organizing systems and world peace

WB-TrainConsult wb-trainconsult at gmx.net
Tue Jan 29 04:41:47 PST 2002

Chris,

you wrote:
>Before we go on, I'm not sure if anyone is exactly saying that Open
>Space is a
>self-organizing system.  At least I don;t understand it that way.
>What I do
>understand to be the relationship between Open Space and self-
>organization is
>that OS works because it works in harmony with the processes of
>self-organization, which are processes that also seem to underlie
>much of the
>workings of the universe.

In my first posting, where I tried to clear thinking
before being able to contribute to the discussion in a useful way
I wrote:
<Setting: What are the external frame conditions which protect and
promote self-organization & its free development?

On that basis I would now translate your thought for me into:
OS is a way of creating a setting which protects and promotes
self-organization

Later you wrote:
>And I think that
>self-organization just is. Peace self-organizes as does conflict.

Yes, but I think we have to clearly make a distinction between
conflict and war.

I prefer, not to think of peace as a final point, the way Harrison
seems to put it. I do not see a basic contradiction between peace and
conflict.

I prefer to believe:
that there are peacful ways of dealing with conflicts.

For me a conflict is a process which results of strong differences in
interests clashing together at certain moments in social spacetime.
So conflicts are inevitable. I do not believe that there can be a
moment  when peace means absence of conflict. Because that would be
peace in the sense of eternal peace = dead. Perhaps Harrison used it
in such a way, I do not know.

To learn how to practice peacful ways of dealing with conflicts, that
is what I would like to try better than I do up to now.

peaceful = non-violent

For me war is one of the violent ways to deal with strong differences
in interests. And it is absolutely NOT self-organizing.

>>From OST I learned (and am learning) to reduce the complexity of the
question: "how can we put a maximum of differences (in interests)
together without (and be it involuntarily) supporting violent ways of
dealing with the necessarily resulting conflicts, producing a context
for emerging creativity instead?"

to a manageable set of principles and 1 law.

If there is enough space
in physical space & in the hearts

peace - a process
peace also - invaluable moments in space/time/context
peace also - a feeling

like consensus
(and be it consensus about differences)

Bernhard

-----
Bernd Weber wb-trainconsult at gmx.net
29.01.2002 at 13:53:12 (GMT + 02:00)

Organization Development Consultant

"DEVELOP YOUR CAPACITIES - MATERIALIZE YOUR VISION"

C.P. 1462, Beira, Sofala, MOZAMBIQUE
fone: +258-3-32 98 59, cellfone:+258-82-43 79 77

-----
WB-TrainConsult
management- & human resources
training, consulting & development
-----
Gumpendorfer Straße 88b/18, AT-1060 Wien, AUSTRIA
fone & fax: +431 596 86 57
-----
My anti-virus precautions:
1) attachment(s) : None
2) All attachments of my mails are mentioned by name in this e-mail
Please do not open any other attachment!
3) Please send text documents in Rich Text Format (*.rtf)

---
Inscricao no grupo de discussao "Sistemas organizacionais":
Escrever um email para o endereco <sis-org-subscribe at eGroups.com>