Copy Rights

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Wed Jan 23 17:08:00 PST 2002

Michael--

I don't have any hard and fast answers. It may have to do with the length,
or more precisely, the per centage of the work that you are "quoting."

For instance, to show a cartoon on the screen during a seminar is likely an
infringement--you have taken the whole work. In the case of a book, quoting
an excerpt of a sentence or two might be OK.

Better in all cases of any doubt, to get the permission.

For instance, when I reprinted your article about yawning on my site, I
asked your permission ahead of time.

I guess it is a question of fairness and politeness: if it was your
material, wouldn't you want the courtesy of a "May I please...?" If so,
ask. "Remember to be nice," my mother used to say....

                              :-Doug. Germann