[Fwd: journalists in an OS _and_ the NON-Guide]

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 16:17:46 PST 2002

Bill, Michael--

When we publish the occasional online OS newsletter, we ask people to write
an article specifically for online publication, and distribute the letter to
the OSLIST, OSI members and anyone who asks to subscribe.  We publish names
and contact information at the end of each article, and include a copyright
statement in each issue inviting readers to use the materials as they choose,
but to cite the author and source (newsletter).  As is general with
anthologies, the individual authors retain rights to their materials.

One year, poems submitted for the OSLIST poetry contest were compiled into a
chapbook which was printed and distributed to OSONOS participants.  Given
away, not sold.  Contributors were given a chance to say if they wanted their
poems omitted from the printed book.

So there are some precedents.

Personally, I don't consider my comments to a public forum to be my private
property, though I do add a copyright note to poems.  And, as a writer, I
always appreciate knowing when something I have written travels to new
places.  Michael's contributor list alerted me to the fact that I had been a
part of the compiled conversation.  His offer to edit on request covers any
concerns I might have about the matter.

My 2 cents worth--

Joelle Everett