journalists in an OS

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Mon Jan 21 17:23:05 PST 2002

Winston wrote about the journalism question:

...arrange for a prior briefing about the process and the meeting and then invite her to conduct "before and after" interviews with participants like Harrison did in the videotape of Bell South

While not a journalist, we were concerned when making the film Winston refers to of whether the cameras would be too intrusive and if people would be concerned about privacy.  (The company was actually U S WEST.)  The director and camera crew were there for the entire Open Space filming.  They did not participate, they filmed and interviewed people before the space opened, throughout the 2.5 day event and about 6 weeks after it ended.  They got signed releases from everyone who spoke in the film but not from anyone else.  Before we opened the space, we told people of the intention to film and how the film would be used.  We asked that if anyone had issues that they let the people doing the filming know and they wouldn't film them.

In practice, there were no objections and once explained, the cameras sort of disappeared into the background in spite their size and the bright lights that accompanied them.

Peggy