Journalists in OS

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.net
Sat Jan 19 19:45:51 PST 2002

Hi Tova,

I have no experience with facilitating an OST that is politically
high-profile and mainstream-news-worthy, and I have only had a journalist at
an OST one time.  But after reading Lisa and Winston's comments, I find
myself wondering if the process of invitation, principles, and law doesn't
apply sufficiently to journalists as it does for any other participant.
Journalists have their own version of passion and responsibility, and their
own inclination to follow their two feet.  Placing myself in your shoes as
facilitator, I am imagining that I might not do any pre-work with
journalists other than inviting them to sit in the circle for the opening.
I would also be sure to include in the "givens" that there is not any
guarantee that what is spoken or written in Open Space will be confidential.
And then trust the process.

Chris