News from Taiwan

ICA Taiwan icataiw at ms69.hinet.net
Fri Jan 18 06:16:53 PST 2002

Several people have asked for an outline of the 2 day OS training we
did in Taiwan recently, so, belatedly, here it is.

Day 1
Morning:  We began with people saying what brought them to the
program, each individual drawing pictures of when they had
experienced "open space" some time in their lives, then sharing those
with others  Then we did an Open Space session (a few had never
experienced OS and it was a good refresher for the others).  I put up
4 possible topics to choose from (others could be added if they
didn't resonate with those).  They were "What we/I can do to take
responsibility for Taiwan's economic future", "New work opportunities
with our increasingly high unemployment rate", "How to fully  live a
high quality life" and something else I can't remember.  They
immediately chose the high quality of life, so we opened the circle
and were off for two 1 hour sessions, quick convergence, action
groups and a closing circle.

Afternoon: Walked through the steps - pretty much out of "A Users
Guide" - and the nuts and bolts as laid out in a manual we prepared.
We then had them get into groups - learning teams of 3 or 4 - to
share their own experiences of the 4 principles and Law of  Feet and
get them well grounded.  They then dramatized one of them for the
whole group and we reflected on our learnings.  It was great and
lively for mid afternoon activity.

Each person then listed at least 5 places they would like to do an OS
program and who the sponsor would be.  They went back into learning
teams where they chose 1 organization and sponsor as their client.
It turned out that 3 groups had someone with whom I had been talking
about an OS in their organizations so they made good subjects.  They
did an in-depth interview with the sponsor, worked on the theme and
practical arrangements including wonderful invitations.  And we
closed with evening news.

Day 2 morning:  After the opening circle, they shared the invitation
letters and PR materials created on Day 1 with the whole group.  Then
returned to their learning groups, created their wall charts, set up
their rooms/spaces, and took turns facilitating the OS meeting.  (All
of this was done in 1 large room).

Afternoon:  After lunch we met as a whole group to reflect on
learnings from the practice, got feedback on their practice sessions,
and had an extended question and answer time before the closing
circle.

Good music and juggling lessons and practice added greatly to the
spirit and learning of us all.

Since the training one of the actual Open Space events has been held
- in a city government early intervention center composed of depts of
education, social service and health.  Three of the new OS
facilitators followed that up with an OS for parents of the children
being treated, and they have decided to continue this as a monthly
event.  Tomorrow I'm going with another facilitator as she opens
space for a civil service learning organization group.  What a
pleasure to be the backup support!

I'm so grateful for the many learnings from this list that I've been
able to pass on.  Our thanks to you all.

Gail

--
Gail West, ICA
3F, No. 12, Lane 5, Tien Mou West Road