Self-Healing In Organizations -- A continuing Conversation

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 4 16:58:37 PST 2002

At 02:33 PM 1/4/2002 -0900, Julie wrote:

>Just one last thing as we re walking to the dining room....  Maybe
>mediation isn t quite so much like surgery after all.  After all,
>mediators don t fix things.  We don t view ourselves as Experts with
>Answers.  We don t give advice.

Total Agreement -- quoth me -- "But the Mediators I know, and I know (and
deeply respect) more than a few, know all about space, creating space,
holding the moment, minimalist to an extreme. Truthfully, at a deep level,
I have a very hard job distinguishing what they do from what I (wearing my
OST hat) do -- except that I seem to work with more people at one time."

>  Being a mediator might be more like being a friend.  A friend who can
> tolerate the tension and ambiguity of being friend to you AND other, even
> when you and other are in conflict.  A friend who believes in the
> possibility of unity in spite of the separation manifested in the
> conflict.  A friend who holds safe and open space.  A friend who
> listens.  A friend who speaks.  :)

YES!!!!

>&..Okay, I m ready for that glass of wine now.

Myself. And May I pour? And How about a cigar????

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA