Self-Healing In Organizations -- A continuing Conversation

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Fri Jan 4 15:33:24 PST 2002

Just one last thing as we’re walking to the dining room
..

Maybe mediation isn’t quite so much like surgery after all.  After all,
mediators don’t fix things.  We don’t view ourselves as Experts with
Answers.  We don’t give advice.

Being a mediator might be more like being a friend.  A friend who can
tolerate the tension and ambiguity of being friend to you AND other,
even when you and other are in conflict.  A friend who believes in the
possibility of unity in spite of the separation manifested in the
conflict.  A friend who holds safe and open space.  A friend who
listens.  A friend who speaks.  :)

..Okay, I’m ready for that glass of wine now.

Julie