A Question about self-organizing systems

Doris Gottlieb dlgottlieb at chello.nl
Thu Jan 31 12:57:24 PST 2002

Hi,
I've been following the line of Birgitt and others regarding world Peace and
facilitation and a nagging question keeps coming into my mind regarding
Self-Organizing systems. My question is:

"If systems self-organize, isn't it possible that the facilitator's role is
one of the elements in self-organization????" Why is that seen as something
outside the realm of "self-organization?"

I find when I read the postings on this I get a nagging feeling, that the
helping, or holding role that I think I take up in most of my facilitation
is like some sort of swindle or hoax or that it is less useful or important
than all of those other things going on at any one time. I wonder if
anything can "self-organize" in an environment that isn't conducive to
it...isn't the work we do facilitating Open Space or Open Space Technology
(however you choose to call what we do) partly about creating that
environment???

Doris Gottlieb