OS Diary 1/13/02

Ralph Copleman ralph at earthdreams.net
Sun Jan 13 18:05:37 PST 2002

Dear Open Space Diary,

Had a slightly different occurrence in OS the other day.

I was at a large Midwestern university doing a day of OS for a faculty group
of 60 or so.  Just before lunch, someone pointed out to me that all the
sessions scheduled for 1:00 had been bumped back to 1:30 by a small group of
people who wanted to convene/commandeer the entire show at 1:00 for a
half-hour.

Checking with one of these people, I learned he had not asked the sponsors
of the 1:00 sessions for their permission.  When I suggested that he may
want to do that, he agreed it was a good idea, did so, and obtained
permission from all of them.  He had a busy lunch hour.

As I passed through the lunch line, someone else asked me if I knew what had
happened about this ("Yes") and would I please be there during the new 1:00
meeting.  I said I'd be nearby if anybody needed me.  As it happened, that
30 minute session lasted an hour with just about everyone attending.  Nobody
came to get me.  All the succeeding sessions adjusted themselves
accordingly.

Whatever happens...

On another point relative to the same meeting.  Since the location was 900
miles from my home, I hadn't seen the space we'd be using ahead of time.  I
was as precise as I could be over the telephone and in writing in describing
what was required.  Nevertheless, when I arrived 45 minutes before I would
be saying "Welcome to open space," they showed me into a huge auditorium
with tiered flooring and a couple of hundred chairs and tables screwed
permanently into the carpeted floor.  There was a space about 12 feet wide
down front.  I said, "Nope" and started re-arranging the building lobby in a
more appropriate configuration.  (Note to file: didja ever notice how much
unintended furniture moving you wind up doing as an OS facilitator??)  The
circle was kind of oblong, but it all worked out just fine.

Whatever happens, stay cool.

Ralph