Self-Organization and Subtle Realms

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 12:46:22 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/2/02 1:30:24 PM, owenhh at mindspring.com writes:

<< I guess part of the problem here is that there seems to be a
general presumption that just because you as the facilitator are not saying
something, or doing something (overt) you have no impact or contribution.
There are in fact subtle realms to be explored and worked with, and maybe
another strand of our conversation might take a look at all of this?

I'd love to participate in a conversation on this subject.  The first Open
Space conference I attended, I was struck by how different it felt than any
other place I had been.  As a longtime facilitator, much of what was done was
familiar to me from one context or another.  I admired how every element of
the meeting design was chosen for congruence with the purpose and
intention--a truly elegant design (meaning elegant in the sense of minimal
and functional).  But something was going on that could not be accounted for
by good design decisions.  And I think that something relates to work with
subtle realms.

I have found that two days in Open Space where someone is holding space with
clarity and integrity expands my consciousness in ways that are still a
mystery to me.  I have experienced altered states of consciousness on Day 3
in Open Space (and sometimes after I leave the conference) during which I am
very open to the world, and am brought face to face with my own issues in
startling ways.  I don't have a theoretical basis for explaining this, but it
has happened too many times for me to consider it a random event.

I'd love to hear from others on this subject.

Joelle