Bozos and OS facilitators

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 16 14:44:52 PST 2002

My mother always says she thinks of me like one of those inflatable Bozo (or
perhaps you have other names in other countries than the US) dolls, the ones
that are kid-sized and they have a weight in the bottom?  So they stand up
and you can punch them, and rather than falling down they just roll back up
again to standing.  What she means is that I am resilient, and no matter
what happens to get me down I just bob back up again.

Don’t even get into all the things that come into mind about punching a
clown.

And of course I remind my dear, revered mother that that makes her Bozo’s
mom.  Very dignified, indeed.

But isn’t that also what we Open Space facilitators are like – even if
bumped into by a bit of challenge, we just bob back up (after taking a deep
breath) and say ‘whatever happens is the only thing that could have’ and
‘whomever comes is the right person’?

Yours in Bozocity,

Lisa

PS: Law of Inflatable Shoes indeed...!  I like it!

- - -
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator
Open Space Technology and Experiential Learning

2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106  USA
(+01) 510 548-8449