open space technology as an event or as anintervention--learnmore with us in our Advancedworkshops

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Fri Feb 22 21:33:31 PST 2002

monica,

what you call intervention, i see more like rain on a lake.  of course
each drop is intervening... and still is ever part of the cycle that
sustains the lake.  the researcher's view, and the story you tell here,
is all true but seems to miss or dismiss this other reality, i think. i
find much support in this world for our separateness and research and
little support for our connectedness and shared wetness.  so i try to
emphasize the latter.

as far as the commercial transaction stuff, yes, again.  all true, but
only part of the story, i think.  it matters not that these things are
for sale.  it matters most that they are also available for free.  it is
only that they are freely shared that they gain any momentum at all and
have any ability to generate value for in those other settings.  again,
when so much of the world supports each of us grabbing for our share, i
try to support that other view that says there is plenty here for
everyone.  i find that this doesn't negate commerce, but expands it.

michael

--

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105