open space technology as an event or as an intervention--learn more with us in our Advanced workshops

Laurel and Rick laurick at telus.net
Fri Feb 22 09:12:20 PST 2002

I view OST as neither an event, nor an intervention, but an honest
recognition of what happens all the time covertly in organizations anyway.
I think it's refreshing for folks, and a new way of looking at things, to
invite them to do what they do anyway.  It's the honesty of the formula that
seems to invite a new level of honesty in conversation.  I also think that
the humility of the facilitator is an absolute must . . . how can one
recognize the power of the individuals in the circle, while simultaneously
trying to "intervene" as the expert or guru?  This seems antithetical to the
philisophical underpinnings of OST.  How can we invite people's spirits out
to play in the context of an intervention?

Laurel.