open space technology as an event or as an intervention--learn more with us in our Advanced workshops

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 22 08:35:22 PST 2002

Hi Mick,
it is good to hear from you.

You are absolutely right that I am acknowledging the DOING as well as the
BEING. A framework that I view life from is working with the Medicine Wheel.
There are many teachings and many interpretations but here is part of one
that assists in my view of the DOING and BEING. In the north is the place of
Spirit, which for me is the place of BEING, BEING one with all of creation,
with all that is. It is a beautiful place to float in, to stay in. In fact,
it would be my preferred place. I now look to the south, the place of making
things physical/practical. It is also the place of healing and of community
for those of us in this 3D realm. I dare not grant myself the luxury of
simply BEING. I require of myself to dance between the north (Spirit) and
the south (Physical), walking the mystical path with practical feet. I
understand that change, growth, and movement occur in that dance.

In my best interpretation of doing when I work with Open Space Technology, I
work with it as an intervention to the organism that I am working with. My
"showing up" even to "open and hold space" intervenes in their natural order
of things. I pray that  I intervene in life nurturing rather than life
depleting ways.

You are absolutely right that "open space exists and we create space through
spirit". And then there is that distinction that I make between Open Space
and Open Space Technology.

We have been given a powerful "tool" by Harrison Owen for intervening called
Open Space Technology. We each need to choose how to use this wisely and
well, from the best of whom we each are. Facilitating an Open Space
Technology event is easy and can be done by a facilitator after having
simply read Open Space Technology: a user's guide.

My passion does not run high with a singular Open Space Technology meeting.
I have very little interest in the comments in the closing circle as
wonderful as they may be. I am aware that by Monday morning "back at the
office" a lot of grief work starts as reality sinks in and the view of the
meeting becomes different.  I am deeply interested in what the results are
into the ongoing life of the organization. I continue to journey with this,
to evolve both personally and professionally as I learn as I go.

My best effort to date has been to capture all of this in the Genuine
Contact program that is not founded in Open Space Technology so much as it
is founded in my perception and experience of achieving organizational
health and balance. I have been on a twenty five year  quest to find my way
with this and to author a program that is duplicable. This requires "givens"
AND co-creation into the future. As the author, I choose to author-ize. Not
certify. Not make statements of competency. Simply to invest in those who
have invested in this program the right to use our materials and to
co-create with us where we go from here. And all the while, we honor Open
Space Technology as a key ingredient in working with the open space to
achieve optimum life.

I make no apologies. I offer leadership in a particular direction. I am
following my dream and what I believe to be my work here on this earth--to
promote health and balance. The vehicle is relatively unimportant. This
happens to be the one I choose for now.

Blessings,
Birgitt
www.genuinecontact.com
Mentoring for Organizational Effectiveness.
"I believe that Spirit matters and people are precious. I know that
organizations incorporating these values have exciting, tangible results."
Birgitt Williams