The Practice of Peace

Eiwor Backelund eiwor.backelund at centerpartiet.se
Thu Feb 21 08:50:48 PST 2002

Hallo Harrison and welcome to Sweden. You sure came here at the coldest
days of the year.

I am sure you are right about that Open Space leads towards peace. You
have harder to fight people you have met and talked seriously with and
often the dialogues in Open Space are very direct from people´s hearts.
Even if I try to not listen to much so I don´t get involved, I can´t help
to sometimes overhear what is said.

You are doing a great work out there. I heard something in the radio here
in Sweden a couple of weeks ago, they said some peace process was emerging
in Israel but noone from the government seemed to know anything about it.
And then I thought of you. I think you started something that can be like
a snowball that goes down the hill, getting larger all the time until it
suddenly smashes in the middle of the village so the snow is spread all
over the place.

It is great that you train more people here in Sweden in Open Space. We
will need many to work this way. I am going to Gotland in March to do an
Open Space meeting on ethical questions within the liberal adult learning
system. We now hear about new open space meetings everywhere and so the
snowball is growing here too.

Have a nice time in Gotland.
Eiwor