AW: open space and open space technology

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Mon Feb 11 00:37:20 PST 2002

hi kenoli,

In 1999 I met "world cafe" for the first time. Young people from London came
to an international gathering in Borl, Slowenia, and used this method. I
found it interesting, but really structured, all this sitting in organized
groups, which then are restructured and so on. People had the chance to
talk, in changing roles, that is what I liked. We took part in the
conference as visual facilitators.

Then I was engaged by Hewlitt Packard for two International conferences.
They used "knowledge cafe", very similar. They have installed a system of
visualisation to grab the results, together with our American friends. In
fact they have stopped using written records and use structured visual
records on large wallpapers instead for conference documentation.

I had some discussions with the moderators, because I found it rather
structured, too much result orientated and not so much space for surprise,
discussion, self regulation. I would say that by the goal of a final common
statement, which is reached step by step , there is a strong orientation
towards this end.

I met these cafe methods now and then, but so far found nobody in the
community of large group methods like OST, Future search, AI or RTSC , who
seemed interested. There seemed to be two different worlds. So I am glad to
hear from you, and am a bit surprised at the same time about your comments,
because for me these cafe methods are more similar to AI than to OST (which
I prefare).

But excuse me everybody, who is representing a certain method. For me the
methods are something to forget, once you really reach the  people.
Sometimes when I was accompanying  a conference with my visualisation, a
confernce that was structured according to one of these methods, I
afterwards could not say which method it was. But I can clearly remember til
this very day, whether it was alife or not.

Reinhard

VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE
Kuchenmueller & Dr. Stifel

Munich Germany