open space and open space technology

kenoli Oleari kenoli at igc.org
Tue Feb 5 13:43:27 PST 2002

I just spent an interesting weekend with a group of leaders in the
"conversations school", who practice "world cafe"
(http://www.theworldcafe.com/) as a core part of their work.  There
are obvious similarities with open space -- particularly conceptual
congruences -- though at a process level (and also to some extent at
a conceptual level) there are also significant deviations.  The focus
is on going deeper and building bridges between people where walls
may have once stood.  There is a strong, voiced "systems"
perspective.  Re-iterations of conversations in constantly changing
configurations serve to integrate what is born and grown in small
groups back into the entire system while also providing for lots of
cross pollinization.  This is structured, while in OST it depends on
"Bumblebees".  There seems to be more of a focus on process and
quality of dialog than on content in this process as compared with
OST.  I'm wondering if others have had experience with this form.  It
has been used extensively around the country to convene conversations
about 911.  It has also been used world wide to bring together
specific groups of people who live in polarized realities.  It seemed
to me that a comparison with Open Space could provide for a rich and
stimulating conversation.  My interest here is in exploration to
expand our understanding and not trying to decide which approach is
better.  It felt to me like a good additional tool for certain
purposes in certain situations.  It is also quite adaptable.

--Kenoli

--
Kenoli Oleari, Horizons of Change, http://www.horizonsofchange.com
1801 Fairview Street, Berkeley, CA  94703   Voice Phone: 510-601-8217,