Transformation IBM Style

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 17 05:31:53 PST 2002

At 03:29 PM 12/16/2002 -0700, Elwin Guild wrote:
>Page 10 of last Friday's "International Herald Tribune" stopped me cold!
>
>The page was nearly blank although its tagline read: introducing IBM
>Business Consulting Services.
>
>What stopped me was the following statement which was the only other thing
>on the page:
>
>Transformation.
>
>It's a big word.
>
>Going into the DNA
>of the business.
>
>Pulling best practices
>from other industries.
>
>Pulling together decades
>of category experience,
>street-smart big thinkers and
>the newest technology.
>
>Done well, it can turn old
>processes into new profits.
>
>But who could do all that?
>
>Everything at once?
>
>Who would have the depth?
>
>Before taping the page to my office wall I added: "anyone in an Open Space
>Circle!"
>Sorry IBM, you're still working in the dark!

Several years ago, the IBM Business Consulting Group invited me to Open
some space for their annual get-together. All about the future of their
practice. We did it, and they did it -- and it all work great.
Unfortunately, the Director of the group was absolutely terrified when he
saw the power that had emerged. Literally hid in his room when it came time
for the final session. But maybe something happened.

It is interesting -- the transformation of Transformation. 20 years ago
when we did the 1st International Symposium on organization Transformation,
the whole thing was treated as definitely off the charts, and obviously
some new Age madness. But the word wouldn't go away, it just got downsized.
Historically, real transformation in human beings is massively destructive
to the old order -- the ending of a whole mess of stuff, not the least of
which is the notion of being in charge. Presently, Transformation appears
as a slightly souped up change management all wrapped up in the ribbons of
Best Practices etc. In my experience, no rational being would willing
undergo transformation -- hurts too much. And the thought that some
individual or organization is going to set out to transform itself or some
others is pretty close to bizarre. I guess words can mean anything you
want, but transformation in my life was definitely something that happens
to you. A real wild ride. Looking back it was a marvelous experience, but
not to be repeated any time soon. But of course the powers that unleash
transformation pay little if any attention to our wishes. Anyhow, I say
Lots of Luck IBM. Maybe they've found the Silver Bullet.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA