Transformation IBM Style

Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au
Mon Dec 16 16:12:42 PST 2002

How interesting it will be when I/we discover that I/we have this ability NOW!

At the final session in OS on OS in Os we discussed the question "Are we there
yet?"

The group decided that we are, we know how and there is a wealth of evidence
that we can do!  You won't find the answer in the consultants reports, the
organisational structure or the executive planning group.

You will find it in the people who are part of the group, organisation or
business.  They know how things work.  They also know and are very aware of what
has to be done to navigate through change.  They are very experienced in change.
Yes you and I know, we just need to be given the chance to effectively share
with others who are willing to work with us to create a solution that is better
than any one of us had though possible.  We can choose to do this formally as
part of how we are part of an organisation or we can try to impose solutions
FROM ABOVE.  Either way the only way the organisation will survive is if the
"natural" forces and knowledge in the group can flourish.

In high performing self organising systems the concept of IN CHARGE or the BOSS
is at best a delusion.  Please do not confuse IN CHARGE with the person who is
accountable or responsible in a legal or stakeholder sense as we all have our
roles to play.

As large corporations try to CONTROL the space with their high priced SPECIAL,
NEW, EXCITING etc. process so to will our systems reorganise or reform to ensure
things work almost despite the NEW thing.

Regards
Rob