Pondering Open Space and Spiral Dynamics

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Fri Aug 30 11:41:41 PDT 2002

Yep this has been part of my Journey this summer, digging deeper in to
Open Space and Appreciative Inquiry  from Harrison's simplified or Ken
Wilbur and Spiral Dynamics more complex statement.

I do think OS creates the conditions for integration of the levels
below, or of a peak experience of a level beyond.  I think blue, orange
and green have some helpful discrimination that is not in pro-active and
interactive.  I think that OS has many green elements in its process and
that puts off some orange folks.  It may not lead the system to
integrate".  If the dominant meme is blue (church or family company) or
orange (pro-active, scientific or strategic management) or green
(interactive, collaborative and social-constructionist) most people will
interpret their experience of OS from that consciousness.  KW and others
suggest there are a very few number of folks in Yellow or Turquoise who
can "see" the integration.

I have a lot more to say, and have not finished writing but have
started.  It is a helpful perspective for me.  I have one client who is
consciously working with multiple levels of consciousness in here
organization and found our initial discussions useful.  Is Open Space
the "doing", the way in to many things?  I believe so and have
experienced it thus.  I also find that the "translation" of what people
have just experienced in a way that they are ready to do it again with
some understanding, varies will level of consciousness.

I just got back from driving my son down to NYC for school so my brain
is a bit fried and I have to paint some rooms for my wedding anniversary
this weekend.  So, its certainly a conversation I want to continue.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
Toronto, ON, Canada