"professional" signs question from Ed Ball

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 16 11:04:59 PDT 2002

Hi Ed and everyone...

I usually make my own signs.  Took me two years to get to a bumblebee
that I liked, thank-you-very-much.  Often I draw the signs in advance of
coming to the site, with extra materials just in case there is damage in
transit or a need for more, say, in a larger room.  Sometimes I draw
them at the site the night before.  I always do the grid/matrix myself,
as things can change on-site, such as breakout rooms no longer available
or added or compressed timing due to something or other.

I am also one of those who finds that making signs centers me and brings
me into the space.

But every client is different, and for a really big event signage takes
a good amount of time.  Either way, I give the client a full scheme of
the signs, and if they want they can do those - we decide together.  Or
I go to the client's and we make them together as we do a talk-through
of final details for the event (my favorite).  Our coloring sessions
often bring out different kinds of thinking.

I really prefer hand-drawn signs as they impart that it ain't rocket
science (as someone once said), that it's doable (by them at any other
time), and it sure perks up a boring room with a little color,
liveliness, diversity and humanity.

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator