Space requirements for 400?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Aug 1 20:34:47 PDT 2002

Doug--

The very first large-scale meeting I facilitated was held at the local high
school, and it worked out very well.  People know where it is, have a sense
of community ownership, there is plenty of parking, furniture, spaces--the
school was a gracious host.

When I am having difficulty imagining the meeting in the space, I sometimes
go in at a quiet time and try setting up 1/4 of the needed chairs in 1/4 of
the proposed space, and see whether it feels spacious or crowded.  I did this
recently, and went away with a gut-level feeling for the space, as well as a
good idea of where breakout groups could be set up.

The only problem I can imagine with the basketball court might be acoustics,
if you try to have as many breakout spaces in the main room as Chris
suggested.  But a school has plenty of classrooms for breakout spaces, so it
should not be a problem.

Good luck!

Joelle