training and practice workshops worldwide

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Tue Aug 6 23:22:34 PDT 2002

well as long as i'm unlurking in such a big way tonight,
thought it was time to post the following.  my apologies for
being lazy and pasting directly from my website page.  i've
included the link as well, which may be easier to read.

you can contact the local hosts for info on specific
workshops.  these are really intended to grow local practice
groups as well as initiate a number of local ost
gatherings.  so it's better to refer friends and colleagues
who live near one of these OR to contact me about hosting
one where you are, rather than travelling to attend the one
that fits your schedule.

also, if you have some ost experience of your own, this is a
format that you'll be able to repeat on your own with others
in the future.  we've had some good success with this in
alaska and peoria, thanks to julie smith (and my siblings
chris corrigan and judi richardson) up north and to dave
koehler in peoria.  it's a model that makes sense as pre- or
post-event development of in-house facilitator core group
for support of follow-on activities in the spirit of ost.

the distinction of this practice workshop approach, i think,
is that it comes pretty close to approximating the
beginnings of ost, when much of the learnings had to come
through practice and story sharing, as there wasn't much yet
written (or so i gather/assume).  it's all open space,
except for four plenary conversations about 'what is ost'
'what is os'  'preparation' and 'beyond'.  (and no i've not
succumbed to distinguishing between ost and os.  that is the
point of the two discussions... to properly blur the two)
<duck> <missed me!>

here's the scoop, from the webpage, which might be easier to
read at...
http://www.globalchicago.net/ost/workshops/index.html

again, contact local hosts about details/attending and
contact me about hosting something in your
locale/organization... but i might be slow on the reply
while travelling these next few weeks.

best for now, michael

---

MHA is now partnering with local leaders around the world,
in organizations and communities, to conduct workshops that
introduce Open Space and initiate local practice groups.
This follows five years of supporting and organizing OST
training workshops in Chicago, with OST originator Harrison
Owen.
Here is where these workshops are already being planned. If
there is not a workshop happening in your area, contact
Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net to talk about
organizing one yourself. There is such need and appetite for
working in this way, that workshop organizing is not so
difficult!

Fairbanks, Alaska USA (Organized by Fairbanks School
District) - April, 2002
Contact Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.net to join the
practice group
Peoria, Illinois USA (Organized by Peoria Area Labor Mgmt
Council) - April 29-30, 2002
Contact Dave Koehler dkoehler at palm.h-p.org about future
workshops
or visit www.globalchicago.net/midwestos

Hong Kong (Organized by Institute of Cultural Affairs) -
August 15-16, 2002
Contact Mark Pixley icahk at hkstar.com
or click here for PDF invitation
Singapore (Organized by Straits Knowledge and friends) -
August 22-23, 2002
Contact Patrick Lambe enquiries at straitsknowledge.com
or visit www.straitsknowledge.com/ost.htm for details

Dublin, Ireland (with Martin Giannini) - Early October, 2002

Contact Marty Giannini mlg2010 at yahoo.com for details
Mumbai, India (with Sankar Ramamoorthy and Sushma Sharma) -
Mid-October, 2002
Contact Sankar Ramamoorthy rsankar at bom8.vsnl.net.in for
details
Udaipur, India (Organized by Shikshantar) - Mid-October,
2002
Contact Shilpa Jain shilpa at swaraj.org for details
Perth, Australia (with Brendan McKeague and Sebastian
Salicru) - Early November, 2002
Contact Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au for details

Vancouver, BC Canada (with Chris Corrigan) - November 27-28,
2002
Contact Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com for details
...and maybe Peggy Holman, too!

Chicago, Illinois USA (with Gretchen Neve) - January, 2003
Contact Gretchen Neve gretneve at aol.com or
Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net for details

Phoenix, Arizona USA (with BJ Peters) - March 13-14, 2003
Contact BJ Peters bjp1 at cox.net for details
New York/New Jersey (with Spiral Parnters) - Late March,
2003
Contact Paul Roberts proberts at spiralpartners.com for details

ALSO:
Orlando, Kansas City, Milwaukee, and St. Louis in the works.

Contact Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net for details
on any of these.
As you can see by the list this workshop can go anywhere. It
works for groups of 8-80 people, as a public program or as
an internally sponsored project. Here is some of what is
common to all of these programs...

The OST Training and Practice Workshop
...is a two-day summit for leaders, managers, facilitators
and anyone else who wants to open more space for renewal,
visioning, learning and productivity in their business or
community organizations.
The workshop is an opportunity for deep learning ABOUT open
space, IN open space and AS the facilitator/sponsor of open
space. It's a seamless blend of training and consulting,
learning and doing, theory and practice. It's also an
opportunity to create and establish a local practice group
that can support the practice and growth of Open Space.
The workshop will be led by Michael Herman, an international
leader in the practice of OST, a student and colleague of
OST originator Harrison Owen, and the principal consultant
for Michael Herman Associates.
Who should come?
Leaders, managers and facilitators working with very complex
issues, requiring the cooperation of diverse stakeholders,
where conflict is quite possible if not already present, and
where their is an urgent need for right action. And anyone
else who is looking for a way to get beyond business as
usual, for better, faster and cheaper results on our most
important issues and opportunities. This workshop also has
mush to offer the most seasoned group facilitators and
experienced users of Open Space Tech.
What Will Happen?
You will learn about and begin to practice Open Space as a
practice invitation. This will take place almost entirely in
Open Space, so the days will be full, the spirit high, the
learning fast and the applications immediate. Each day will
start and end with a practice-specific briefing and dialogue
that will serve to bound and contextualize our time and
experience in Open Space.
The first day will be all about the SPIRIT of Open Space.
Our theme will be "Inviting Organization" and we'll spend
the day wrestling with the deeper meaning of what it means
to live and work in Open Space.
The second day will be all about the PRACTICE of Open Space
Technology. Our theme will be "Organizing Invitation" and
our focus will be the creation of invitations, invitation
lists, program designs and follow-up plans for as many
meetings, projects and situations as you care to work on.
The result is that all participants will leave with a deeper
understanding of the OST practice, specific plans to apply
it in as many situations as they choose to work on, AND a
number of local colleagues who can offer ongoing guidance
and encouragement.
The increasing interest in Open Space Technology (OST) is
one bit of heartening news in an otherwise challenging
world. More and more organizations are understanding the
wisdom and value of taking an Open Space approach in their
most important, complex, and urgent situations. This
training and practice workshop is one of the fastest and
fullest ways of beginning to use this powerful, practical
approach.
Please join us!

--

Michael Herman