ITS OVER WHEN THE BOSS SPEAKS...

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Thu Apr 25 11:07:58 PDT 2002

Bernhard and All,

Thank you for this discussion.  This idea of social trance..... I've
seen it somewhere before, but can't quite remember where.  Thanks,
Bernhard, for explaining how OS helps us leave that trance-state for a
little while.  That is a very useful concept for me.

I'm also intrigued by your idea about closing the door you've opened.
You said:

> Closing the opened doors
> (e.g. to that temporary 'counter-trance-room' which had been
> facilitated by me applying OST but had been materialized by all)
> seems of growing imporance to me.
>
> And if it is just my gesture of going out of one room and entering
> another one through a door which I close.

A few years ago I learned a bit about circle processes from a First
Nations gentleman from British Columbia.  He always opened the circle
with a prayer, and always closed the circle with a prayer.  The opening
was an invitation to the Creator to join us, and the closing was
thanking the Creator for sharing that time with us.  The closing also
released us back into our normal states of being.

Most of our time together took place between the opening and closing.
That time together was sacred because the Creator and been invited and
was therefore present in a more conscious way than we were accustomed
to. It felt like we all moved up in our consciousness during the time
between the opening and the closing.  That individual and collective
shift helped us think and behave differently.

For this person, opening a circle process is always expressly about
opening sacred space.  Because this is significantly different from our
collective normal state, it is equally important to close that space.
The closing signifies a release back to our normal individual states of
being.

Julie