A Practice of Peace (Tova Averbuch)

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sun Apr 21 11:29:03 PDT 2002

 5.  ??? Here's where we are now.  We don't know what it is yet.

Is the fifth a both/and?  Accept all our differences AND accept that we are
all one?

On Monday evening, I spent about 3 hours with Michael Herman on his way from
Chicago to Fairbanks, Alask via Seattle.  I hadn't read anything from the
list for days and wasn't aware of this conversation.  Michael and I talked
about how striking it was that the core message from every spiritual
tradition that we knew of contained this seed of many and one.  He told me
that I was clearly in the list's conversation without actually being there!

Here's one example of what I mean.  The Sh'ma is perhaps the most essential
prayer of Judaism.  (I know there are a number of you who know more alot
about this subject than I, so please chime in!)  As said today, it
translates to "Hear O Israel, the lord our god the lord is one."  About a
year ago I met a Sufi master and a Druid.  Independently, each one told me
that the rough translation for yod-hay-vov-hay (the unspoken word for god)
is "oh, above, below."  The Sufi went on to say that the word adonai had
been substituted for yod-hay-vov-hay in the Sh'ma.  This would mean that the
prayer would actually translated to something like:

"Hear O Israel, oh, above-below is god, above-below is one."

I think of it as diverse unity.  And it is us.

Peggy