A Practice of Peace (Tova Averbuch)

Fr Brian S Bainbridge briansb at mira.net
Fri Apr 19 18:34:36 PDT 2002

Dear Julie
Thanks for the material evoked by the session with Fr Oleska.  Good sense
involved.
The Fifth option - "Here's where we are now. We don't know what it is yet"
seems to hold the greatest hope for the future of our world and for peace, I
suspect.
The real difficulty, for those of us living outside the US, is that so much
of what is being suggested relating to Peace from the US seems less than
consistent with that position.  Rather, it feels like imposition and control
and an almost ruthless requirement to conform to US rules.  Sometimes it
masquerades as WTO, sometimes as UN, sometimes as World Bank, and sometimes
as IMF.  And often it is preached as Globalization, as some recent deep
research shows.  As often happens, the preaching and the practice don't
appear to match and the recent decisions about steel simply demonstrate same
very clearly.  The "unum" mentioned is clearly a US "unum", not a world
"unum".
Maybe the real change that is needed in this dimension of peace-making is to
do with a change of heart within, and I think Open Space helps that by the
honouring and appreciating of spirit and the practice of letting-go.
Cheers and blessings,   BRIAN.