ITS OVER WHEN THE BOSS SPEAKS...

BrendanMcKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Mon Apr 15 22:05:19 PDT 2002

>Denis wrote:
>I have a slightly different slant to this one. I think that as the space
>belongs to the people & it is their right  to
>close and not mine I should open the final session and they should close
>it when they are ready.
>  I should not speak during this session.

Your comments and others have got me thinking about the nature of closure
and responsibility - it does seem appropriate to include whatever the group
wishes to include in this space - it is their space and if they wish to
include all the thank-yous and winding-ups,
then so be it....

In the past, my final comments on the four directions have related to
questions for participants' reflection on Harrison's ideas of: vision,
community, leadership and structure - these have usually taken participants
beyond their own immediate personal experience of the process into another
space for insight to emerge. I think I'd like to keep this in where
possible - I see it as the final gift of the process (at this event) to
evoke deepening Spirit within individuals and the organisation - however,
on this occasion, it didn't seem useful for me to do it once the
President's speech was over....indeed, the President's comments were really
not directly related to his own experiences/feedback of the process but
much more of a formal thank you to all the helpers -
in a way, this may have been why i was feeling 'unclosed' myself !

hence the question - let them close their space, facilitator closes out
self and 'formal open space' process and then they conclude their
organisational formalities, still in the circle....?

Brendan