Holding Space in Emergent Systems

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 29 06:36:10 PDT 2002

I am, as some may know, afflicted with the notion that all systems are
essentially self-organizing, and that in Open Space we are basically
dealing with one more such emergent system. Holding Space, therefore has
something to do with the art and practice of sustaining self-organization.
turns out we are not alone. Programers who do games of an emergent sort
seem to be playing in the same sandbox. See the following:

“One of the pleasures of what I do,” Zimmerman tells me, over coffee near
the NYU campus, “is that you get to see a player take what you*ve designed
and use it in completely unexpected ways.” The designer, in other words,
controls the micromotives of the player*s actions. But the way those
micromotives are exploited— and the macrobehavior that they generate—are
out of the designer*s control. They have a life of their own.

Sound a little Familiar?  For more, check out Steven Johnson's book
"Emergence" (Scribner/2001)

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive