os infiltrates small college

john engle englejohn at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 15 16:09:01 PDT 2002

colleagues on oslistserve:

last august, i did an open space with staff and professors at a very small
college outside of chicago. the dean, a very close friend, had initiated
that i be invited.

he (the dean) is now experimenting with os in one of his classes.

he recently wrote me:

"Friday night was the first actual OST class. Twelve of us came up with
about 9 different topics, which we assigned to 30, 45, or 90 minute blocks.
We used 15 minutes to set up, 90 minutes for the group meetings, and the
last 15 to go around the circle. Each of us was required to give the group a
short account of their activity.

Scary, but wonderful. The students are inviting the rest of the school
to participate starting Monday. We'll see. I'm not sure my colleagues
really know what i'm up to, and I'm not sure I want them to know. However,
the genie is definately out of the bottle.

More as the story unfolds."

Steven Werlin sjwerlin at shimer.edu

this is the invitation that the students have sent to faculty and students
at shimer college:

Dear Community,
           The Pedagogy for Liberation class would like to
invite you to participate in our Open Space Discussions.  What is Open
Space?  Open Space Technology is a radically democratic technique of
dialogue, which we are using to explore a variety of issues.  These issues
are posted and will be updated on the 438 lounge tack board.  Our meetings
begin at 5:30 on Mondays and 4:30 on Fridays.  Participation and
contributing issues are open to the Shimer
Community.

john engle
port au prince haiti

Téléchargez MSN Explorer gratuitement à l'adresse
http://explorer.msn.fr/intl.asp.