Turtle (way of warrior) - who speaks for wolf? Long reply

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Thu Sep 27 08:20:08 PDT 2001

i hope you are right, too, barry.  you know a lot more about things
military than i ever will.  i also recognize that the presence is
necessary and (my guess) is perhaps more effective to *be* there than
actually *use it* there.   coming back to open space facilitation, it's
about the *being* present rather than trying to *do* something.

i've learned plenty here, from everyone and don't know how i could have
made any sense of this for myself at all without the views of so many
from such different places.  especially from the different places.  not
sure if my views have changed or just been clarified, articulated.
either way, it's been great.  and i too was going to stay out and then
paul dragged me in <smile> or i just couldn't resist (!)... but in
general am agreed with jeff and others... so how is opening space
different now for this last couple of weeks... and what can this
community do from our new levels of understanding and connection made
here lately?

am finding what harrison says to be true here for me as well.  as others
i know have had work cancelling, i feel like the world has somehow moved
closer to the work i/we are doing in open space.  like we all understand
it *better* now with not a single moment of formal *training*.  also, we
did the 'what is our work now' conversation on that first friday after
9/11 and it now looks like it will continue as a regular weekly
conversation with a new theme of 'finding new balance.'  this thing has
unleashed tremendous energy and we now have the right and responsibility
to use it to learn and contribute as much as we can <grin>.  saddle up,
indeed!

barry owen wrote:

<<It is that the US military is NOT going to launch an unusually large
offensive military operation in any one geographic area subjecting
unnecessary carnage upon innocent bystanding civilians . . . That the
president and other world leaders ARE taking the time that is needed to
formulate an appropriate response which WILL be "military action on a
large
scale" but surgically implemented. In other words, you are hearing of US

military forces racing to certain regions of the world . . . Many folk's

immediate assumption is that we are going to launch allout offensive
upon
the mainland of Afganistan - I don't think so . . . For us to "project
military force" (of any size) into ANY region of the world, we MUST have
significant presence . . . all of the support services and support such
force would require.

I believe our military has the knowledge, the expertise, the technology,
the
will to "wage war" upon the terrorosts of the world without too awfully
much
inconvenience to the civilian populations (needless casualties). This
"campaign" will never end . . . I don't think "elimination of ALL
terrorists" is viable . . . I DO believe we can effectively wage this
war
"surgically."

I hope I am right :-)

Off the soap box and back to changing diapers.>>

--

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105

http://www.michaelherman.com