Turtle (way of warrior) - who speaks for wolf? Long reply

Barry Owen homselr at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 27 05:23:16 PDT 2001

Michael,

I am in synch with much of what you have said in this post and others. I
believe there must be some response from the US and the world. I agree that
the president's "job" here is one that I cannot even fathom. It is easy for
us to critique President Bush's actions and decisions . . . His most
difficult task IMHO is to cultivate "United we Stand" throughout the world
in this effort to eliminate terrorism. I do not think the goal of
"eliminating terrorism" is realistic . . . but we CAN make it extremely
difficult for these guys to continue to operate. Finally, I understand the
need for compassion for all points of view/reference - my feeling is that
only through compassion will we eventually identify the underlying root
motives behind these terrorist acts and thus the individuals responsible
opening the door for "appropriate response."

Now, after my last post, I had decided to step away from this thread . . .
and you have dragged me back in kicking and screaming. I have been
overwhelmed by the sheer volume of reading material coming across this list
. . . yet I continue to read . . . because what I am getting here is WORLD
perspective (NOT just US and more specifically Nashville, TN). I honor and
appreciate every message/perspective I read here - Each one brings more
clarity for me. I thank each and every person for his/her contribution to my
(and everyone here) learning and understanding. I learn MOST from the posts
I DISAGREE with . . . gives me pause . . . gives me clarity . . . teaches me
more about myself, my beliefs, my priorities.

SOOOOO . . . This is what dragged back in . . . You said:

my assumption/concern is that the military response cannot be effective
in stopping these guys -- until it becomes a very large affair indeed.
when we cross the 'oh my god' threshold, we will lose all kinds of
supporters here and abroad.  AND, when we cross that threshold, they
will gain all kinds of new recruits willing to die to avenge what we've
just done to them.   i do not think of myself as a pacifist, but i do
not want any kind of military response that targets *anyone* other than
those who must be stopped.  since this can't be done, i believe any more
aggressive attacks will only serve to make us weaker and them stronger.

we must be smarter.  we must change the game.  must make it financial.
must make it political.  must make in anything other than violence.  our
freedom is their terror.  our freedom fight is their terrorism.  we
can't win the terror game.  so our response has to be so much more
skillful than traditional military.  it has to be a game we can win.

michael
Michael, I hope and pray that MY assumption is slightly more accurate than
yours. Your last 2 paragraphs (above) I believe hit the nail on the head. I
concur with everything say ESPECIALLY wrt the challenge that the US
president and his cabinet and our government and our people and the
remainder of the world all of whom face this threat of seemingly irrational
terrorism . . . so what is my assumption?

It is that the US military is NOT going to launch an unusually large
offensive military operation in any one geographic area subjecting
unnecessary carnage upon innocent bystanding civilians . . . That the
president and other world leaders ARE taking the time that is needed to
formulate an appropriate response which WILL be "military action on a large
scale" but surgically implemented. In other words, you are hearing of US
military forces racing to certain regions of the world . . . Many folk's
immediate assumption is that we are going to launch allout offensive upon
the mainland of Afganistan - I don't think so . . . For us to "project
military force" (of any size) into ANY region of the world, we MUST have a
significant presence . . . all of the support services and support such a
force would require.

I believe our military has the knowledge, the expertise, the technology, the
will to "wage war" upon the terrorosts of the world without too awfully much
inconvenience to the civilian populations (needless casualties). This
"campaign" will never end . . . I don't think "elimination of ALL
terrorists" is viable . . . I DO believe we can effectively wage this war
"surgically."

I hope I am right :-)

Off the soap box and back to changing diapers.