Turtle (way of warrior) - who speaks for wolf?

Bert Hopkins bhopkins at aus.edu
Wed Sep 26 15:04:02 PDT 2001

Peggy,

Your request triggered me to share the poem that is on my door, one that
my friend and I were reading aloud to one another up in the Olympics on
the morning of the 11th before coming down the mountain to discover a
changed world.  Not sure if it answers your questions, but....

The Bloody Sire

It is not bad.  Let them play.
Let the guns bark and the bombing-plane
Speak his prodigious blasphemies.
It is not bad, it is high time,
Stark violence is still the sire of all the world's values.

What but the wolf's tooth whittled so fine
The fleet limbs of the antelope?
What but fear winged the birds, and hunger
Jeweled with such eyes the great goshawk's head?
Violence has been the sire of all the world's values.

Who would remember Helen's face
Lacking the terrible halo of spears?
Who formed Christ but Herod and Caesar,
The cruel and bloody victories of Caesar?
Violence, the bloody sire of all the world's values.

Never weep, let them play,
Old violence is not too old to beget new values.

Robinson Jeffers, 1941

Peace,
Bert