Now What?

Donald Horrigan horrigan at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 15 17:27:10 PDT 2001

Thank you, Harrison,
Don Horrigan
  -----Original Message-----
  From: OSLIST [mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU]On Behalf Of Harrison
Owen
  Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 12:02 PM
  To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
  Subject: Now What?

  Three days ago our world changed. Radically, and probably for ever. Again.
And although the pain and confusion is far from resolution -- Griefwork does
not happen over night -- we must work our way through. Many loud OH Shits!
And we still can't believe that it really happened... Memories will start to
flow as we recall how it was before the madness of a few ripped the fabric
of our global community... And there will be despair as we recognize that
much of what we trusted and expected no longer exists. Silence will come as
we find ourselves in the Open Space between what used to be so familiar and
whatever it is that will happen next. And out of that silence comes a
question -- What do we do with the rest of our lives? No answers. Just a
question, a Quest....

  For some the shock and anger will never cease. Others will live lives of
Denial, unable to comprehend that it really did happen. All of us will carry
memories of the times we knew -- what might have been -- of innocence lost
and lives snuffed out before their time. The despair we experience will be
intense, and some will chose not to go through it, but those who do will
experience the silence which is at once the ending and the beginning... And
the question -- What do we do with the rest of our lives?

  I believe this community has the special opportunity and responsibility to
take what we have known and experienced for the past 16 years in Open Space
and make it available to our brothers and sisters around the world. If ever
there was a situation of serious common concern, characterized by enormous
complexity,  a staggering diversity of  peoples and needs, blinding
conflict, and a decision time of yesterday -- we got it. And we know what to
do about it. Open some Space.

  There is no need for a plan, elaborate proposals, budgets... JUST DO IT!
Wherever, however, and with whomever... Just Do it! With family, friends,
communities, fellow workers, perfect strangers. This is not about selling
Open Space Technology -- it is about confronting the Open Space of our lives
with the tools we have been perfecting. It is fast, cheap, effective, works
with all sorts and sizes of groups, easy to teach   -- and free. We need not
operate under the illusion that we will save the world. But we might just
help.

  Folks, Now is the time, and we are the people. I look forward to hearing
from you.

  Harrison

  Harrison Owen
  7808 River Falls Drive