Fw: Reflections...

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sat Sep 15 12:07:07 PDT 2001

Prasad--

I'm a little slowed down just now.  I spent the month of July in Siberia,
presenting and facilitating leadership skills workshops for women and
consulting for women's organizations--a fantastic experience.  We had 60
women for a weeklong intensive in Novosibirsk, travelled to the Altai
republic for a second conference, spent several days in Ulan Ude and
travelled in the Buryat republic.

Our last few days were spent at a remote resort on Ohlkun Island in Lake
Baikal, relaxing, reflecting and visiting sacred sites.  While hiking with a
shaman to see petroglyphs on a nearby rock, I fell down a steep slope and
hurt my ankle.  Hobbled on it, with quite a bit of help from my friends,
through 3 days on the island, a day by bus travelling back to Irkutsk, and a
very long day flying Irkutsk-Moscow-New York-Seattle (39 hours--22 in flight,
14 time zones.  You know about international travel).

Turns out my ankle was fine but my leg was broken.  Took a week at home to
reduce the swelling and connect with the surgeon's schedule.  Missed OSONOS
at Vancouver because I was too tired hauling around a heavy plaster splint.
I'm in a removable cast now, able to go on crutches with partial weight on
the injured leg.  But I'm not going very far or very fast.  And don't know
when I will be able to drive, which complicates life.

I'm feeling cheerful, trying to somehow assimilate the incredible experiences
of this summer.  Feeling very sad about the tragedies of the terrorism, my
spirit lifted by the realization that I am not the only one in the world
whose response is not to bomb someone into oblivion.  Trying to figure out
how hard it is going to be to fly to Denver on Wednesday for the wedding of
one of my sons.

Hope you are well--what kind of work are you doing now?

Love,

Joelle