Cookies

Barry Owen homselr at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 12 17:48:25 PDT 2001

Thank you everyone from everywhere for all of the wisdom flowing through
this listserve. I am truly touched by the outpouring from around the world .
. . and I have learned much about the world's perspective of the united
States (both positive and else).

Tuesday, I drove my 12 year old son to school as usual . . . listening to
his radio station so we could hear the daily "gender wars" spoof . . . Tyler
got out of the car at 7:52 AM CST . . . As I was leaving the parking lot I
(As I always do) switched to my favorite station just in time to hear that
there had been an explosion at the World Trade Center . . . 10 minutes
later, just before I got home, I heard about the 2nd plane hitting the World
Trade Center - I knew this was an attack . . . As I walked back in the door
and told Deb to flip on the TV, News of the crash at the Pentagon was just
beginning to appear. Deb and I spent most of Tuesday watching the news
unfold. We were both numb.

Today, was different . . . wondering as I awakened what would hit the news
today . . . more attacks? I was very somber today . . . spirits low . . . as
I listened to all of the news agencies spinning stories of conspiracy and
hatred . . . and hearing things as preposterous as the need to "round up"
all the "Islams" just as the Japenese were rounded up after Pearl Harbor. I
was befuddled . . .

Then I visited my office and encountered Eric who was a West Point graduate
. . . a tough army guy . . . who knows that I, too, had been in the military
for years . . . Eric and I have always talked about the day's events because
we "speak the same language" often.

Eric said: "COOKIES"

I said: "HUH????"

He said: "COOKIES!! You know . . . Those delicious ones they bake at
Christie Cookies? And DOUGHNUTS just after  the "hot light has come on at
Krispie kreme . . . We need to gather about 2 million people and line up on
the border of Afganistan . . . each person with a box of cookies (or
doughnuts) with all of our children in tow . . . and offer them cookies and
sit and talk with them and let our children play with their children . . .
get to KNOW them and allow them to get to KNOW us . . . and thus will be the
end of this silly terrorism.

And thus it would all be behind us . . .

Call me crazy . . . but I kinda like what Eric had to say :-)

Love to all,

Simply living the FourFold Way in Open Space . . .

Barry Owen
The Owen Group
5200 Maryland Way, Suite 101
Brentwood, TN 37027