Working over a theme with a group on a conference call

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 6 21:44:03 PDT 2001

"J. Paul Everett" wrote:

> Hey, Chris, no fair.  Here you were grabbing my gut without telling me the
> theme.  Can you share what the Inuit came up with??

Tee hee......ok.

The essence of the conversation was around how we choose a theme that focusses
attention on a national strategy for Aboriginal youth.  That was bound to be
dry.  When I stole one of Michael Herman's questions and asked them "What
would make this conference and WILD success?" the reply came from one of the
youth that it would be a wild success if the voices of Aboriginal youth would
be heard (is that all? i asked myself....tells you something about the state
of conferences in this day and age huh?)

After that comment came out the Inuk youth suggested "Hearing our voices
today...for tomorrow."  That soon became something like "Voicing our
priorities for today and tomorrow."

The whole notion of giving voice to the real concers of Aboriginal youth
rather than feedback on a government strategy is what drew people in by their
guts.  It might not be the most inspipring theme you've ever heard (see
Richard's!!) but it was a sea change in thinking for these guys.  And most
importantly, it was something that the whole diverse group could live with.

I think this one is gonna be a stunner myself.  All the conditions are ripe
for it to be a success.  Naturally, I'll let you in on my impressions after
the event.

Cheers,

Chris

--