danger of societal mood shift in negative ways

Julie Hotard julie at pinefish.com
Sat Sep 29 07:15:08 PDT 2001

Hi, Folks

Below is some info from a stock market newsletter I receive, about a possible upcoming mood shift toward anger, fear, intolerance and exclusion in American society and possibly other societies as well.  The theorist is well known and respected and often but not always correct.  Although he is predicting these things as though they are likely to happen no matter what, I think that they are just one possibility, due to the effects on society's mood from the war against terrorism and the Bear market.  I think the more aware we are of the dangers of a societal mood shift in these directions, the more chance we have to "head it off at the pass" and stop these things from occurring, or at least begin to heal and change these things if they do occur.  Would be interested in ideas from folks here on how to do either of these things-- stop this mood shift and/or heal and change it constructively.

Robert Prechter, whose Elliott Wave Theorist Letter is highly respected, provides an analysis of social trends and mood changes.  The Elliott Wave Theory basically subscribes to the idea that investment trends and economic trends are produced by mood changes on the part of investors or people. These mood changes precede changes in the markets or the economy. It's not the other way around.  His book: "The Wave Principal of Human Social Behavior and the New Science of Socionomics" has the thesis that changes in social mood cause and therefore precede changes in the character of social events. For more information and reading on this very interesting subject, go to www.elliottwave.com.